Samsung Galaxy Ace is one of the remarkable smartphone in the Galaxy series. Unfortunately, due to hardware limitations, it is not capable of running newly launched Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. But team of developers called Jellaxy has proven it wrong by making Jelly Bean based custom ROM – AOKP for the Ace.
AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) is one of the famous custom ROM in the open source Android world. It has highly customizable functions along with Jelly Bean features. AOKP also includes their own ROM Control panel which can be used to perform several modifications in the system.
Please note that the ROM is not stable yet & it may have bugs present which can cause stability related issues. Still, if you’re comfortable to move ahead with it, you can follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: The procedure discussed below can be harmful for your device and may result in undesirable outcomes. Don’t go for it if you are unaware of these things. Neither we nor developer should be held responsible for any damage caused to your device. Follow the guide completely on your own risk.
Pre-Requisites before installing ROM:
- Your phone must be charged up to 70% battery level.
- You must backup all your important data like messages, contact and applications as you will lose it all during procedure.
- Your phone must have Clockworkmod recovery installed before flashing this ROM.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 with AOKP custom ROM:
- Download latest build of AOKP ROM package from the Official Development page.
- Download GApps (not present in the ROM by default) from the link given below.
- Connect your phone to the computer by using the USB cable, enable mass storage mode on it and transfer both the files to your device’s microSD card.
- Disconnect the phone from PC.
- Now power off the phone & boot into the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by holding Home button + Power key together till the recovery appears.
Note: In recovery mode, touch won’t work therefore use Volume up/down & home button only.
- After getting into the recovery, select backup and restore and on next screen select backup. This will create a nandroid backup of your current ROM which can be restored later if anything goes wrong.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to factory reset the phone (it won’t touch your SD card).
- Select install zip from sdcard & then choose zip from sdcard . Navigate to the ROM file which you’ve transferred earlier. Select the file using home button & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes.
- After installation is finished, press back button to land into the main menu of recovery.
- To install Google Apps, again select choose zip from SD card followed by install zip from SD card, this time scroll down to GApps package and select it to install.
- After finishing installation of both the files, select reboot system now to restart the phone.
That’s it! Jelly Bean based custom ROM AOKP is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. Do share with us if you found any bug in it.